Instagram verification, symbolized by the coveted blue checkmark badge, is a mark of prestige and authenticity on the platform. This badge signifies that an account is official, authentic, and of public interest, making it stand out from the countless other profiles. While Instagram verification isn’t available to everyone, it’s attainable if you meet the criteria and follow the right steps. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the process and guide on how to get verified on Instagram, providing you with the best practices, tips, and insights to increase your chances of success.
What is Instagram Verification
Before diving into the process of getting verified on Instagram, it’s essential to understand what verification means and why it matters. The blue checkmark badge is a symbol of credibility and authenticity. When an Instagram account is verified, it receives the following benefits:
1. Credibility and Trust:
People view verified accounts as more reliable and trustworthy. Users are more likely to engage with and follow verified accounts, especially if they are public figures, brands, or businesses.
Verified accounts appear more prominently in search results, making it easier for users to find and connect with them. This increased visibility can help grow your follower count and reach a broader audience.
Verification helps protect your account from impersonation. It distinguishes your authentic profile from fake or copycat accounts.
4. Enhanced Reputation:
A blue checkmark badge can enhance your reputation, whether you’re an influencer, celebrity, business, or public figure. It signals to users that you’re a legitimate and noteworthy presence on the platform.
What is The Instagram’s Verification Criteria
Instagram has specific criteria that an account must meet to be eligible for verification. While the platform doesn’t disclose all the details of its verification process, it generally considers the following factors:
Your account must represent a real individual, brand, or entity. Instagram doesn’t verify parody or fan accounts.
Your account must be unique and represent a notable entity. Instagram prioritizes accounts that are highly searched for or mentioned in the media.
Your account should be public and have a complete profile. This comprises a bio, a profile photo, and one or more posts.
You must be a notable figure in your field. This can include celebrities, public figures, global brands, and entities of public interest.
5. Notable Categories:
Instagram verification is available for various categories, including government officials, journalists, athletes, entertainment figures, businesses, and more.
6. Adherence to Guidelines:
Your account must adhere to Instagram’s Community Guidelines and Terms of Service. Any account found in violation of these guidelines may be ineligible for verification.
It’s important to note that meeting these criteria doesn’t guarantee verification. Instagram’s verification process is selective, and many eligible accounts may not receive the blue checkmark badge.
How to Prepare Your Instagram Profile Before Apply for Verification
Before you apply for verification, it’s crucial to ensure that your Instagram profile meets the platform’s requirements and presents a strong case for verification. Here are some steps to prepare your profile:
1. Complete Your Profile:
Make sure your profile is complete with a profile picture, a bio that accurately represents you or your brand, and at least one post. An incomplete profile is less likely to be considered for verification.
2. Build a Strong Presence:
Regularly post high-quality content that reflects your identity or brand. Engage with your audience through captions, stories, and interactions. A strong and active presence on Instagram can increase your chances of verification.
3. Verify Other Social Accounts:
If you have accounts on other social media platforms, verify them. Cross-platform verification can strengthen your case for Instagram verification.
4. Ensure Consistency:
Use the same name and username across all your social media accounts to maintain consistency. This helps establish your identity as a notable entity.
5. Review Your Content:
Review your existing content to ensure it adheres to Instagram’s Community Guidelines and Terms of Service. Remove any content that may violate these guidelines.
How to Apply for Instagram Verification
Once your Instagram profile is ready, you can apply for verification through the following steps:
1. Open the Instagram App:
Launch the Instagram app on your mobile device. Ensure that you are logged in to the account you want to verify.
2. Go to Settings:
Tap on your profile picture in the bottom right corner to access your profile. Next, tap on the three horizontal lines (the “hamburger” icon) in the top right corner to open the menu. Scroll down and tap on “Settings.”
3. Access Account:
In the “Settings” menu, tap on “Account.”
4. Request Verification:
Scroll down to find and tap on “Request Verification.”
5. Complete the Form:
A verification request form will appear on your screen. Fill out the required information, including your account name, account category (e.g., Celebrity, Brand, News, Sports, etc.), and a scan of your government-issued photo ID (or official business documents if you’re applying on behalf of a brand or business). The ID should show your name and date of birth.
6. Submit Your Request:
Verify again the accuracy of all the information you have provided. Once you’re satisfied, tap the “Send” or “Submit” button to send your verification request to Instagram.
How to Get Verified on Instagram By The Meta-Verified Subscription Process
1. Eligibility and Accessibility
Unlike the traditional verification request process on Instagram, Meta Verified is open to all users, irrespective of their follower count or status. This move aims to democratize the verification process, allowing anyone with an Instagram account to subscribe and attain the verified badge.
2. Accessing Meta Verified
To subscribe to Meta Verified, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Your Profile: Open the Instagram app and log in to the account for which you want to get verified.
- Access Account Settings:
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the top-right corner to open the menu.
- Go to “Settings” and then select “Account.”
- Choose Meta Verified:
- In the Account settings, look for the option “Meta Verified.”
- Tap on it to initiate the subscription process.
- Follow Subscription Prompts: Meta Verified will present you with subscription options. Select the package based on your needs.
- Payment and Confirmation: Enter your payment details as prompted and confirm your subscription.
Once these steps are completed, your account will be enrolled in the Meta Verified subscription service, and the verified badge will be applied to your profile.
3. Subscription Plans and Fees
Meta Verified comes with various subscription plans, each offering different features and benefits. The subscription fee is a monthly recurring charge, allowing users flexibility in their commitment. The plans may include different levels of customer support, additional features, and possibly priority in new Instagram features or updates.
4. Instant Verification and Benefits
One of the key advantages of Meta Verified is the immediate application of the verified badge. Unlike the traditional verification request process, where users must wait for Instagram’s review, Meta Verified users receive instant verification upon subscribing.
Additional benefits may include:
- Priority Customer Support: Meta Verified subscribers might enjoy priority access to customer support for account-related queries or issues.
- Exclusive Features: Meta may introduce exclusive features or tools available only to Meta Verified users, enhancing their Instagram experience.
5. Cancellation and Renewal
Users can cancel their Meta Verified subscription at any time, and the verified badge will remain active until the end of the billing cycle. This flexibility ensures that users have control over their subscription commitment, allowing for adjustments based on evolving needs or preferences.
The Impact of Meta Verified on Digital Authenticity
The introduction of Meta Verified marks a significant shift in the dynamics of Instagram verification. While the traditional verification process focused on validating the authenticity of public figures, celebrities, and brands, Meta Verified opens the door for individuals and emerging influencers to attain the blue checkmark through a subscription model.
1. Democratizing Verification
Meta Verified has the potential to democratize the verification process, making it more accessible to a broader user base. This inclusivity aligns with the evolving nature of social media, where individuals from various backgrounds contribute to the platform’s rich tapestry.
2. Redefining Credibility
The subscription-based model challenges the traditional notion that credibility is solely based on one’s public standing or influence. With Meta Verified, any user willing to subscribe can acquire the verified badge, potentially shifting the perception of what it means to be a verified user on Instagram.
3. Monetizing Verification
The subscription fee associated with Meta Verified introduces a monetization element to Instagram verification. While the fee may be modest, the cumulative revenue from widespread subscriptions could contribute to Meta’s overall monetization strategy for its platforms.
4. Evolving Instagram’s Ecosystem
Meta Verified is a strategic move by Meta to enhance user engagement and retention on Instagram. By providing an additional service that users actively seek, Meta aims to create a more immersive and value-added environment within the Instagram ecosystem.
Tips to Increase Your Chances of Instagram Verification
1. Build a Robust Online Presence
One of the primary criteria for Instagram verification is having a notable online presence. This involves building a substantial following and actively engaging with your audience. Here are some key aspects to consider:
- Content Quality: Regularly post high-quality content that reflects your personal brand or the essence of your business. Visually appealing and original content is more likely to attract and retain followers.
- Consistent Posting: To keep your audience interested, stick to a regular posting schedule. Consistency signals to Instagram that your account is active and influential.
- Engagement: Actively engage with your followers through comments, likes, and direct messages. A thriving community around your account demonstrates its significance.
2. Ensure Account Authenticity
Verifying your identity and ensuring that your account represents a real person, brand, or entity is crucial. Instagram is cautious about verifying accounts that might be at risk of impersonation. Here’s what you can do:
- Complete Your Profile: Fill out all aspects of your Instagram profile, including a profile picture, bio, and contact information. A complete profile signals authenticity.
- Link to Other Verified Accounts: If applicable, link to other social media accounts or websites associated with your brand that are already verified. This cross-verification adds to your credibility.
- Submit Verification Documents: When applying for verification, be prepared to submit official documents to verify your identity. This can include a government-issued ID for personal accounts or business documents for brands.
3. Establish a Presence Beyond Instagram
Demonstrating your influence and significance beyond the Instagram platform can bolster your chances of verification. Here’s how you can extend your presence:
- Cross-Promote on Other Platforms: Actively cross-promote your Instagram account on other social media platforms. This not only expands your reach but also reinforces your legitimacy.
- Media Coverage: Seek media coverage and press mentions. Being featured in reputable publications or news outlets adds a layer of credibility to your public image.
- Partnerships and Collaborations: Engage in partnerships and collaborations with other verified accounts. This association can contribute to your perceived importance in the digital landscape.
4. Engage with Instagram’s Features
Instagram values users who actively utilize its features and contribute positively to the platform’s ecosystem. Here are some strategies to enhance your engagement:
- Explore All Features: Use a variety of Instagram features, including Stories, IGTV, Reels, and Live. Demonstrating proficiency in navigating and utilizing these features can signal to Instagram that you are an active and influential user.
- Participate in Hashtags and Trends: Engage with trending hashtags and participate in relevant challenges. This not only keeps your content fresh and current but also increases your visibility on the platform.
- Community Engagement: Be an active member of the Instagram community by responding to comments, participating in discussions, and fostering a positive environment on your account.
5. Apply for Verification at the Right Time
Timing is crucial when it comes to applying for Instagram verification. While there’s no specific formula for the ideal timing, consider these factors:
- Account Maturity: Wait until your account has matured, and you’ve built a substantial following. Applying too early might result in rejection.
- Milestones and Achievements: Apply after reaching significant milestones or achievements, such as hitting a specific follower count, winning awards, or garnering notable recognition.
- Reapplication: If your initial verification request is rejected, take the time to address any issues or concerns raised by Instagram. Reapply once you’ve strengthened your case.
What to Do If Your Request Is Denied to Get Verified on Instagram
1. Understand the Rejection Reasons:
When your verification request is denied, Instagram typically provides a generic explanation. While it may state that your account doesn’t meet the criteria for verification, the specifics are not always detailed. However, understanding the common reasons for rejection can guide your next steps. Common rejection reasons may include:
- Incomplete Profile: Your profile lacks a profile picture, bio, or other essential information.
- Lack of Authenticity: Instagram doubts the authenticity of your account, possibly due to a high risk of impersonation.
- Insufficient Follower Count: Your follower count might not meet Instagram’s threshold for verification.
2. Address the Specific Concerns:
Once you have an understanding of the possible reasons for rejection, take targeted actions to address those concerns:
- Profile Completeness: Ensure that your profile is complete with a clear profile picture, a comprehensive bio, and any other necessary details.
- Authenticity: Provide additional evidence or documentation to prove the authenticity of your account. This might include linking to other verified accounts or submitting official documents.
- Build Follower Count: Focus on building your follower count organically. Engage with your audience, create high-quality content, and leverage other social media platforms to cross-promote your Instagram account.
3. Engage with Your Audience:
Demonstrating engagement with your audience is a key aspect of Instagram’s verification criteria. Here are strategies to boost engagement:
- Consistent Posting: Keep up a consistent posting schedule to keep readers interested.
- Interactive Content: Create content that encourages interaction, such as polls, quizzes, and questions.
- Respond to Comments: Actively respond to comments and direct messages. Engaging with your audience signals to Instagram that your account is valuable and authentic.
4. Continue Building Your Online Presence:
Even after a rejection, focus on building a robust online presence that extends beyond Instagram. Consider the following strategies:
- Participate in Trends: Join relevant trends and challenges within your niche to increase your visibility.
- Collaborate with Others: Collaborate with other influencers, brands, or entities in your industry. Associations with reputable figures can enhance your credibility.
- Seek Media Coverage: Actively seek media coverage or press mentions related to your work or achievements. Being featured in reputable publications can contribute to your online presence.
5. Consider Alternative Verification Options:
If your initial request is denied, explore alternative verification options or services:
- Meta Verified Subscription: Meta, the parent company of Instagram, has introduced Meta Verified, a subscription service that offers an alternative path to verification through a subscription model.
- Third-Party Services: Be cautious when exploring third-party services that claim to offer verification. Ensure the legitimacy of such services and consider potential risks.
**6. Reapply After Improvement:
After implementing the necessary improvements and addressing the concerns that led to the initial rejection, consider reapplying for verification. Instagram allows users to submit verification requests periodically.
- Wait and Strengthen:
- Allow some time to elapse before reapplying. Use this time to strengthen your online presence, address any remaining concerns, and showcase continuous improvement.
- Resubmit the Request:
- When you feel confident about the enhancements made to your account, resubmit the verification request through the Instagram app.
**7. Seek Community Feedback:
Engage with your community and seek feedback on your account. This external perspective can offer valuable insights and suggestions for improvement.
- Community Input:
- Encourage your followers to provide feedback on your content, engagement, and overall account presentation.
- Implement Suggestions:
- Consider implementing constructive suggestions from your community to enhance the appeal and credibility of your account.
Dealing with rejection, especially in the public sphere, can be emotionally challenging. It’s critical to recognize and deal with the emotional component:
- Positive Mindset: Maintain a positive mindset and view rejection as an opportunity for growth and refinement.
- Learn from the Experience: Treat the rejection as a learning experience. Identify areas for improvement and use the feedback to enhance your online presence.
- Celebrate Achievements: Take a moment to celebrate the achievements you’ve accomplished on the platform, even without the verification badge.
Frequently Asked Questions About Instagram Verification
Q1. How long does it take to get verified on Instagram?
The time it takes to get verified on Instagram can vary. Some accounts receive verification within a few days, while others may wait several weeks or even months. It depends on factors such as the volume of verification requests and Instagram’s review process.
Q3. Can I request verification for a private account?
No, Instagram’s verification is only available for public accounts. If your account is private, you’ll need to switch it to public before applying for verification.
Q4. Can businesses and brands get verified on Instagram?
Yes, businesses and brands can get verified on Instagram. The verification criteria apply to various categories, including businesses and brands. Ensure that your business account meets the requirements and follows the steps outlined in this guide.
Q5. Is there a limit to the number of verification requests I can submit?
Instagram does not specify a limit to the number of verification requests you can submit. However, it’s advisable to submit a request only after addressing the reasons for a previous denial. Frequent and unnecessary requests may hinder your chances of approval.
Conclusion: How to Get Verified on Instagram
Instagram verification is a prestigious achievement that can enhance your online presence and credibility. While the process may seem selective and challenging, it’s attainable if you meet the criteria and present a strong case for verification. Remember to maintain an active and authentic presence on Instagram, adhere to the platform’s guidelines, and submit accurate documentation when applying.
Getting verified on Instagram can open doors to new opportunities, increased visibility, and a greater sense of trust among your audience. So, if you believe your account meets the requirements, follow the steps outlined in this guide, submit your verification request, and patiently await the coveted blue checkmark badge that signifies your authenticity and importance on the platform.