Uninstalling apps on Windows 10 is a fundamental skill that every user should possess. Whether you’re trying to free up storage space, remove unwanted software, or troubleshoot issues, knowing how to uninstall apps efficiently is essential. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore multiple methods for uninstalling apps on Windows 10, including built-in tools, third-party uninstallers, and related tips to ensure a smooth experience.
Why Uninstall Apps on Windows 10?
Before we delve into the “how,” let’s briefly discuss the “why.” There are several reasons why you might want to uninstall apps on Windows 10:
- Free Up Storage Space: As you install and use various apps, they can accumulate and consume valuable storage space on your PC. Uninstalling unnecessary or seldom-used apps helps keep your system running smoothly.
- Improve System Performance: Some apps run in the background, using system resources even when not in use. Removing such apps can improve your PC’s performance.
- Security and Privacy: Outdated or unused apps can pose security risks. Uninstalling them ensures that potential vulnerabilities are not exploited.
- Troubleshooting: If you encounter issues with a particular app, uninstalling and reinstalling it can often resolve the problem.
- Customization: Uninstalling pre-installed or unwanted apps allows you to customize your PC’s software environment to your preferences.
Now, let’s explore various methods for uninstalling apps on Windows 10.
Method 1: Using the Settings App
One of the easiest ways to uninstall apps on Windows 10 is through the Settings app. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Settings app: You can do this by pressing
Windows + Ion your keyboard or by clicking the Start menu and selecting “Settings.”
- Navigate to “Apps”: In the Settings window, click on the “Apps” option.
- Select “Apps & Features”: In the left sidebar, click on “Apps & Features.” This will display a list of all installed apps and programs on your PC.
- Locate the app to uninstall: Scroll through the list or use the search bar to find the app you want to uninstall.
- Click on the app: Once you’ve located the app, click on it to select it.
- Click “Uninstall”: A button that says “Uninstall” will appear. Click it to start the uninstallation process.
- Follow the prompts: Windows will guide you through the uninstallation process, which may include confirmation prompts and additional options depending on the app. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
- Restart your PC: In some cases, you may be prompted to restart your computer to finish the uninstallation.
Method 2: Using the Control Panel
The Control Panel is another method for uninstalling apps on Windows 10. While it’s not as user-friendly as the Settings app, it provides access to more advanced uninstallation options. Here’s how to use it:
- Open the Control Panel: You can do this by typing “Control Panel” in the Windows search bar and pressing Enter.
- Change the view: In the Control Panel, change the view to “Category” if it’s not already set to that. You can do this by clicking the “View by” dropdown menu in the top-right corner and selecting “Category.”
- Click on “Uninstall a program”: Under the “Programs” section, click on the “Uninstall a program” link. This will open a window that displays a list of installed programs.
- Locate the app to uninstall: Scroll through the list to find the app you want to uninstall.
- Select the app: Click on the app to select it.
- Click “Uninstall”: At the top of the window, click the “Uninstall” button. This will initiate the uninstallation process.
- Follow the prompts: As with the Settings method, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation.
- Restart your PC: If required, restart your computer to finalize the uninstallation.
Method 3: Using Right-Click Options
You can also uninstall apps directly from the Start menu or the taskbar using right-click options. Here’s how:
- Locate the app: Find the app you want to uninstall either in the Start menu or on the taskbar.
- Right-click the app: Right-click on the app’s icon.
- Select “Uninstall”: In the context menu that appears, select “Uninstall.” This will open the uninstallation process.
- Follow the prompts: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Method 4: Using PowerShell
PowerShell is a powerful command-line tool that allows you to uninstall apps programmatically. Here’s how to use PowerShell to uninstall an app:
- Open PowerShell: You can do this by searching for “PowerShell” in the Windows search bar, right-clicking on “Windows PowerShell,” and selecting “Run as administrator.”
- Get a list of installed apps: To see a list of installed apps along with their package names, type the following command and press Enter:
Get-AppxPackage | Select-Object -Property Name, PackageFullName
This command will display a list of installed apps and their corresponding package names.
- Locate the app to uninstall: Scroll through the list to find the app you want to uninstall. Note its
- Uninstall the app: To uninstall the app, type the following command and replace
PackageFullNamewith the package name of the app you want to uninstall:
Remove-AppxPackage -package PackageFullName
For example, if the package name is “Microsoft.XboxApp_8wekyb3d8bbwe,” you would type:
Remove-AppxPackage -package Microsoft.XboxApp_8wekyb3d8bbwe
- Press Enter: After entering the command, press Enter to execute it.
- The app is uninstalled: PowerShell will uninstall the app, and you’ll see the progress in the PowerShell window.
Method 5: Using Third-Party Uninstaller Programs
While Windows 10 provides built-in methods for uninstallation, third-party uninstaller programs offer advanced features and additional capabilities. These programs can help you thoroughly remove software and associated files. Some popular third-party uninstaller programs include Revo Uninstaller, IObit Uninstaller, and Geek Uninstaller. Here’s how to use one of these programs:
- Download and install the uninstaller program: Visit the website of your chosen uninstaller program, download it, and follow the installation instructions.
- Launch the program: Open the uninstaller program.
- Locate the app to uninstall: In the program’s interface, you’ll see a list of installed apps. Locate the app you want to uninstall.
- Select the app: Click on the app to select it.
- Initiate the uninstallation: Look for a button or option to uninstall the app, and click it. The uninstaller program will guide you through the process.
- Follow the prompts: Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation. Some uninstaller programs may perform additional tasks, such as scanning for leftover files and registry entries, to ensure a thorough uninstallation.
Tips for Efficient App Uninstallation
Here are some additional tips and considerations to make your app uninstallation process more efficient:
1. Review Installed Apps:
- Periodically review the apps installed on your PC to identify and uninstall those you no longer use or need.
2. Back Up Data:
- Before uninstalling any app, consider backing up any data associated with it, such as documents, settings, or game saves.
3. Check for Updates:
- Some apps may have updates that address issues or vulnerabilities. Check for updates before uninstalling an app, as an update may resolve your concerns.
4. Be Cautious with Pre-Installed Apps:
- Exercise caution when uninstalling pre-installed or system apps, as removing them may affect the stability or functionality of your system. Research the app before removing it.
5. Clean Up Leftover Files:
- After uninstalling an app, consider using disk cleanup tools or third-party software to scan for and remove any leftover files or registry entries.
6. Regular Maintenance:
- Make app uninstallation part of your regular PC maintenance routine to keep your system running smoothly and efficiently.
Conclusion: How to Uninstall Apps on Windows 10
Uninstalling apps on Windows 10 is a straightforward process, whether you prefer using the built-in tools, PowerShell commands, or third-party uninstaller programs. By following the methods and tips outlined in this comprehensive guide, you can efficiently manage the software on your PC, free up storage space, and maintain a clean and well-organized system. Regularly reviewing and uninstalling unnecessary or unwanted apps will help you optimize your Windows 10 experience and keep your computer running smoothly.